A story about a sweet baby boy and his sweet baby heart.....

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Stepping Stones

Today has not at all gone as we planned.....

Wyatt had a MR Angio this morning at 10am which is essentially a specialized kind of MRI to look at all the arteries/vessels in his tummy and groin to see how everything is connected and if there are any other coarctations that we need to be aware of. One of the major signs of an aortic coarctation is little to no pulse in the groin and his pulse is "bounding" on the left side. They had to sedate him for this procedure b/c he had to be totally still. To make a long complicated story short, since the MRI machine uses magnets they could not use warming blankets. Wyatt got too cold during the procedure and his lungs began to collapse because he wasn't getting the # of breaths he needed. He is stable now: body temp is back up to where it should be, vitals look good, but he is on the vent and on the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit floor.We thought that he would have the MR Angio and then come back to our regular room for the rest of the day/night, hang out all day tomorrow and have surgery Thursday. We didn't realize how good we had it in there. I could hold him, feed him, snuggle him...... In this room, I can put my hand on his sweet little head and talk but that is it. It literally knocked Jason and I off our feet when we walked in and saw him like this ...... I can't even explain it and honestly don't think I will ever get this image out of my head. Terrified is the only word that I can think of to explain how we feel right now - trying to keep our faith strong and praying literally about every 5 minutes. Jason made a good point though - this is not what we expected but we are one step closer to surgery. One step closer to recovery. One step closer to going home.

 His surgery has been moved from Thursday to tomorrow around 1:00pm. It should take roughly 5 hours from the time they take him back until the time we see him again.

Tomorrow is going to be another doozy I'm sure so please pray for strength for my baby boy, wisdom and skill for the surgeons and calmness and peace for me & Jason.

Updates to come as we get them......

"For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
~Psalm 139:13-16


Sign we made for Wyatt's little crib here at the hospital

4 comments:

  1. sorry to hear all this! i know i dont know you but i have twins that both had nicu stays and one of them had to have surgury when he was a month old so i kind of know what you are going thru! i would like you to know your precious baby, you & your husband are most definatly in my prayers hunny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you all! May God be with ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I have been reading your blogs. Just wanted to let you know that we are both thinking and praying for Wyatt and your family. Stay strong!

    Shugarts

    ReplyDelete